Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Marker Comps


Marker comps are a lot of fun. I work with Prismacolor marker and Prismacolor pencil. I can't believe that a lot of people can't control marker. Some people think that these are watercolor, as if watercolor were more controllable. Is that even a word? I usually begin by skething lightly with pencil, darkening that with some sort of fine tip pen and then coloring with marker. I use both cool and warm grey for the shadows depending on the color of the overal comp and bring out the highlights with colored pencil, white colored pencil and yes, whiteout.


JAWS BOOK
Here is sort of an exploded illustration of the left to right shark from JAWS. Below that is the platform that the shark was attached to which barely allowed it to role back and forth through the water. There is a lot of resistance in water. The boys at Universal never counted on that.

This was created to better illustrate the different layers, parts and hoses that made up the pneumatic shark in a book that I am putting together about the men that worked on JAWS.






USH JAWS ATTRACTION
JAWS Attack opened during the spring of 1976. Here are some marker studies that I did for the book detailing the various sharks (above), colors and layout of the Amity island set.


LOGOS
The Real Archaeologist logos. These were for a show that was pitched for the Discovery Channel. See more under Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.

 
TOY DESIGN
Here are a couple of marker comps. The first one is a Goofy plush from the Goofy Movie, below that is Ariel's daughter from The Little Mermaid II. Toy concepts are fun. I've done it a few times. Well, actually I've done it not enough.



ZOOBILEE ZOO
Zoobilee Zoo was a traveling interactive theme park carnival thing with computers and technology and stuff... I think. It was fun to create. I did a mountain full of stuff for something that never got built. That's okay, I never got paid for it. That'll show'em!






No comments:

Post a Comment