Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Caricature


I have always loved caricature. It's a mystery to me how it works. MAD magazine and Mort Drucker were my first heroes, Disney's Nine Old Men and ultimately the king himself Al Hirschfeld are all influences.

TV SHOWS
Here is the cast of Everybody Loves Raymond. They signed it for me and it's framed in a closet. One day I'll hang it on the wall again.

Below is the cast of the show Yes, Dear. It used to be on CBS before Raymond. I remember that I was going to see them and try to get their autographs but it never happened.
The cast of My Name Is Earl were going to be at the Paley Festival at the Director's Guild. That meant one thing - caricature! My Name Is Earl had a pretty good season one, weird season two and just lost it after that. The cast dashed for the exit when all was said and done. Never got this autographed.

The Big Bang Theory is on CBS. It features four nerds and one hot dumb girl. It's funny. I have this signed by the cast, except for Sheldon -- the dude who is doing that weird Trekkie thing in the background.


CELEBRITY
Dixie Chicks. I was going to see them in a little theatre in LA for the taping of their VH-1 special. Near the end of the show my friend got Natalie Maine's attention. They signed the final version which still hangs in my room. Emily thought her chin was too long. This is one of many studies that I sketched before the final.

George Lucas was at the Paley festival at the Director's Guild on Sunset. After his interview he signed this sketch. I have it framed. The autograph looks like a weird scribble.

Okay, technically they belong in TV Shows, Marshall Dillon and Festus from Gunsmoke. But when was the last time you saw them on TV/ I don't think they're on TV Land anymore. Matt Dillon below them and a handful of celebs including Will Smith and Mel Gibson from a horrible scan. I'll have to do that one again! These are more straight ahead MAD magazine style caricatures. I think that the Gunsmoke and Matt Dillon comps were requested by fans.




Good Day LA is a wacky morning news show here in Los Angeles. This is a study of the three anchors - Dorothy Lucey, Jillian Barberie (Reynolds) and Steve Edwards (two versions).


ORDINARY FOLKS

Here is a caricature for someone that I worked with simply titled Bob. This is what Bob looked like. I think I spent 10 seconds doing this. it shows. Below him are people that I worked with.



This is the first design group that I worked with. I was primarily an illustrator here and did a lot of cool stuff like storyboards, theme park and character design.


This is a group that I did for a newspaper art department that I was part of. They are all gone. Well, actually I think that a couple of them still make ads for the paper, otherwise our jobs were sent overseas. *sigh* I like how I recycled myself.WEDDING INVITE
Here is my wedding invitation. Created it in Illustrator. One of the few times that I used artificial means when I could have used a pen and markers. I was going for a Shag style. I'm not really a fan of Shag but he was doing a whole series of Disneyland art and we were getting married at The Happiest Place on Earth NOT Where Dreams Come True.

No comments:

Post a Comment